Total Pageviews

Tuesday 10 April 2012

The sound of one hand clapping

The day you open a book, is the day you will hear "the sound of one hand clapping". 

I was raised in a house where reading was like watching TV, you always had to be reading something. My Standard 3 teacher came to mind when I saw this title. When she used to read to us everything came alive, in her words, in your mind, with words anything was possible.  To the point I started wishing I could be part of the Famous Five or the Secret Seven.

Accessrx.com


I have read about meditation, Dr Nelson Mandela says its one of the things that made him survive his 27 years at Robben Island.  It was his way of escaping from the confinement of those walls and that Island.   Even celebrities like Madonna swear by it. The sound of one hand clapping is apparently possible through meditation according to Zen Masters. 

This is something I will never be able to experience because I cannot make my mind be still for a second except when am sleeping.  I have too many muddled up thoughts, I can sit alone, but not in my thoughts.  My mind is forever working overtime.  Maybe through reading that is the closest I will ever get to meditating, reading is actually escaping from reality to fantasy.  Yes I may never hear "the sound of one hand clapping" but reading will make me imagine it.

2 comments:

  1. This is a well written piece. I especially like how you came to linking the content of your blog and the blog title. Very quirky, the sign of a well versed reader :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This coming from you is a huge compliment, because for me as far as blogging is concerned you mastered the "blog must be short, objective and straight to the point" Marian has been preaching. Thank you:). now teach me how to not babble, ha ha ha.

    ReplyDelete