Total Pageviews

Tuesday 25 September 2012

The POWER of words

chrisgoodwin.info
When I was a kid I was petrified of spankings.  This I would normally get if I came home late for my curfew.  I would find my mum waiting at the corner with a 'look' that says you taking chances young lady.  When I was still in an only black school, teachers used to hit us as well, corporal punishment.  This used to give me anxiety attacks.  Luckily for me, I went to a catholic primary after that, where scolding was the only punishment.

Its now as I get older that I think maybe, the spankings were better because words have a lasting effect on a person and not necessarily in a good way.  People can open their mouths and just say things without thinking.  This is where emotional intelligence kicks in and you supposed say to yourself, I will take not take in all the toxic words and protect yourself and your sanity.  Another truth I know is that, often people want to shove "their" fears on you.  Alas we are human, sometimes words stick, then they let the cold breeze of fear and doubt seep under the locked door.  So you walk around unhappy and forget the other good things about yourself and your situation.

I don't know how one can avoid these moments, or should one really avoid them?    I will also probably hurt someones feelings without being aware.  So you hope your friends know you did not mean it in a malicious way and strangers will make an excuse for you that "maybe" you were having a bad day.   

No comments:

Post a Comment