Total Pageviews

Friday 16 March 2012

Friends

Well my blog is more about my moving to Cape Town, finding my feet, and my journey to qualify as a Public Relations Practitioner.  So most of the stuff will be about that...sorry to bore you guys*talking to the voices in my head*, ha ha ha.  I love this place, this week has just got me to a point where I look around the room and think, thank you for putting me with this bunch.  Yet today I woke up really missing my old life.

Friends first and foremost, are the family we choose ourselves...they might possibly be the reflection of what we would like to become or are.  Unlike family, they stay because they want to, not because they have to.
This is a picture of my two mates and I on a weekend away in Clarens, I call it a 'frozen moment', in that picture I was so happy, I could have cried(yes am a cry baby).  We had just gone horse riding.  The guy in the picture is Sabe, one of the kindest man I have ever laid my eyes on.  He spoils me rotten, sees who I am and accepts me JUST the way I am.  I have never had to change or explain myself to him, in friends we try to find a sense of belonging.  His an ally, an ex jogging mate, but mostly a safe haven I can always run to, I chose very well with this one(Sabe).  Loyiso, purple scarf, is my little sister from another mother, we share a passion for loving every single thing about South Africa...from the music, books, clothes, food, the people and we firmly believe in the South African dream.  After this trip, we vowed after my studies we going to find more dorpies in South Africa, the Augrabies Falls are next in our list..  Clarens is in the East of the Free State, its a hippie town, full of arts and crafts shops, there is also the Golden Gate Route to see.  We called it the Hidden Paradise.

Last year when I turned 26, I found myself at the crossroads, thinking what is the next step in my journey.  Do I stay and suck in the longing to spread my wings, instead of leaving all these people behind or do I move away and never look back?  However when I did decide to move, and start this chapter, the very same people cheered and were so excited like its their own new adventure.  I am truly blessed to have always been surrounded by such friends or as my Mother always says in choosing the "right" friends.







My two gay friends, Tshepo on the left, the softer one of the two.  Furah, who I call the love of my life, my best friend, and the son my mother never had.  We fight like a cat and a dog, but I having to live without him, not being able to bring him to Cape Town is the worst part of this deal.









Far Left, is Sophia, my Greek ninja, we worked together and we often wonder how we survived life without each other in the 1st place.  The lady in the black top, is Khothatso we have been friends since I was 2 and she was 3.  She is my person as Meredith Grey affectionately calls Christina.  Nicole, the Blondie, me and her met through a friend(Chanel), she is on a cruise ship at the moment, she is a ball of sunshine and am happy to announce she has also relocated to Cape Town.


This little lady(Chanel) and I met at a very 'fragile' point in my life.  In me she gained an older sister.  She says through my eyes and experiences, she saw the real South Africa.  I have in turn gained a new family, she has five siblings and the coolest Dad on earth.
I am constantly crying, frustrated, but every end of the week I feel a sense of accomplishment.  One step a time they keep saying.  This weeks tears for a change were not because am unhappy, but simply overwhelmed in the midst of all this craziness, God provided new friends.  My classmates cheer for me like they have known me all their lives, its like I walked in on my Kaap family.

Cape Town also gave me a chance to renew an old friendship, a friend(Itumeleng) who stays down the road. The other day she popped in to bring R20 for bread because she does not want me to starve to death at Res, she said. This a friend who is worth keeping for a lifetime.

I did say they are a family you choose for yourself...


1 comment:

  1. This made me cry. I know it's not the end of the year, but you've made it. This is proof enough, in black and white kid. Even if you thought you were not going to come back from your Easter break you won't be able to stay away.

    ReplyDelete